Friday, June 27, 2008

What Will I Need?!?

I recently found what do new teachers really need?, a post from a very good writer and teacher that answers its eponymous question. According to him and his responders, new teachers need time and mentors. I reflected in a journal last night that there's little I can do now to definitely gain time or a mentor for when I am teaching. I can't search out for elders in a school placement I haven't gotten yet and Google is still working on that 25-hour day. I figure the best I can work on now are time management skills and supportive college cohorts.

I started looking for what other people say new teachers need. Here are some more answers to the original post on Musings from a Not-So-Master Teacher:
Other articles that address the topic: Scribblers Den

This post will grow as I find more answers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree completely about the importance of a mentor for new teachers. I just finished my first year, and the amount of support that I received from the teacher in the classroom next to me was immeasurable. He was invaluable when I had large problems, such as classroom management and grading, but was also a great help with the often over-looked details of being a teacher. Another must for new teachers, that would probably fit in your category of "Support", is Resources. To supplement my textbooks and the odds/ends I've picked up, my mentor teacher turned me on to http://www.dedicatedteacher.com which has tons of downloadable ebooks and teacher resources. They've been a big help.