Friday, August 29, 2008

Blackboard in Your Classroom

How do you use Blackboard software in your classroom?

Some schools are encouraging (or enforcing) the use of Blackboard software. I know teachers here at Duquesne University and several surrounding high schools get training on it. some use it well; some don't. I've been given the assignment of "webmaster" of my senior secondary English education methods class. I have to figure out how we can utilize Blackboard for this class. I've toyed around with ideas and come up with a few. I'm interested in how you all use it. Just a digital home for your syllabus? An effective out-of-class communication tool? A collaborative learning community? A necessary evil to get through your mandatory to-do list?

How do YOU use Blackboard software in your classroom?

2 comments:

jasekj919 said...

I'll get the ball rolling. In another methods class, our professor had us post our project (a lesson plan) on a discussion board and comment on each one instead of coming to class that day. The benefits were: experimenting with Blackboard, being able to read 20 lesson plans in a short time, and giving and receiving comments on each one.

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan of Blackboard. I actually think a teacher can easily create a website that has a more intuitive feel and links to other, more authentic, web 2.0 tools. My issue with course management systems in general is that they are not constructivist in framework and (with the exception of moodle) are rarely open source / freeware - so you don't get things that are as up-to-date as you'd like.

I've experimented with using Ning (a social networking site) to run a class as well as creating my own website (teachercommons.com) in teaching professional development to teachers at my school. Within my actual classroom, I've used a hybrid approach of one student site linked to other sites.